Do you know breast cancer is one of the topmost common cancers among Indian females? As the name implies, breast cancer is a cancer of the breasts. Both men and women can develop the symptoms of breast cancer. However, women are more prone to this cancer than men. Breast cancer starts when cells start growing abnormally. The risk of this type of cancer increases with weight gain and age. There are different types of breast cancers. So, in this article, we will cover crucial information about this cancer, breast cancer cost in India, and the top cancer hospitals in India. So, let’s get started.
Understanding Breast Cancer
As mentioned above, when cells in the breast start growing abnormally, it causes cancer. Breasts consist of three parts: ducts, lobules, and connective tissues. Ducts are the tube that carries milk to the nipple, and lobules are milk-producing glands. Connective tissue comprises fatty tissue and fibrous tissue that holds everything together. So, usually, breast cancers start in the lobules or ducts. It can spread out through lymph and blood vessels.
There are two types of breast cancers- one is invasive, and the other is non-invasive. Invasive cancer spreads from the ducts to other breast parts, whereas non-invasive restricts itself to the affected area.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
It is vital to check on every problem in your breast. So, if you find something unusual, see a doctor immediately. The following are the most common signs of breast cancer that should never be ignored.
- Rash on or around the nipple
- Discharge from nipple
- Pain in the armpits
- Inflammation on the breast skin
- Change in size or shape of the nipple.
- Breast lumps
Breast Cancer Treatment in India
The most common and popular treatment for breast cancer is surgery. However, other treatments like target therapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy can also be good options. The type of treatment depends on the patient’s age, type of cancer, and if cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
Different Types of Breast Cancer Surgeries
- Lumpectomy – It removes tumor and affected surrounding tissues
- Mastectomy- This surgery removes entire breasts
- Sentinel Node Biopsy- It removes draining lymph nodes.
- Axillary Lymph Node Dissection- this surgery is a process to remove lymph nodes from the armpit.
- Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy- People tend to remove healthier breasts and affected breasts to reduce the risk of developing cancer.
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery- This is reconstructing the breasts to rebuild the shape. It can be with implant or flap reconstruction.
Different Therapies for Breast Cancer
Radiation Therapy- This post-surgery therapy process involves high-powered radiation targeting and killing cancer cells.
Targeted Therapy- This therapy uses drugs to target specific proteins and genes responsible for cancer cells growth.
Chemotherapy- This drug treatment helps destroy cancer cells. Some doctors recommend it before the surgery to shrink cancer cells.
Hormone therapy- This therapy blocks the production of the body’s hormones, especially Progesterone and Estrogen.
Top Hospitals for Breast Cancer in India
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- Dharamshila Narayana Super Specialty Hospital
- Max Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital
- Columbia Asia Yeshwantpur, Bangalore
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Wockhardt Hospitals, Mumbai
- Gleneagles Global Health City
Breast Treatment Cost in India
India is home to some top breast cancer hospitals that offer economical and time-bound treatment packages. Compared to other countries, India’s breast cancer treatment cost is low. In fact, many people from all over the world prefer India for quality breast cancer treatment at affordable costs. So, let’s take a quick look at the estimation of breast cancer treatment cost in India:
- Chemotherapy starts from US 300/session.
- Lumpectomy starts from USD 3,000
- Radiation Therapy starts from USD 3,500
- Radical Mastectomy starts from USD 6,000, and
- Total Mastectomy starts from USD 7,000
This cost includes different factors such as choice of hospital, surgeon experience, length of hospital stay, the technology used etc.
However, if you are still confused about which hospital is the right fit for you, Lyfboat can help! At Lyfboat’s website, you can get all information about hospitals, surgeons, etc. You can also find the best packages that give you a fair idea about the treatment costs of different hospitals in India. To read more our blogs, click here!